Friday, April 7, 2023

Tasting - Robert Mondavi Merlot


Name: Robert Mondavi Merlot
Variety: 100% merlot
Region: California
Country: United States
Year: 2019
Price: $11
Winery Review: "Central Coast, California- Bright aromas and flavors of smooth cherry, plum and strawberry with hints of cedar, black olive and spice—supported by a supple texture with fine-grained tannins and bright acidity. These qualities come from choice Central Coast Merlot grapes."-totalwines.com
Wine Folly: pg 131- I agree with the cherry flavor since that as by far the main thing I tasted while drinking this but I didn't notice any chocolate or vanilla flavors in this. The book mentions how this pairs well with roasted food which I didn't try but my roommate tried this with roasted lamb and he thought the pairing was really good.
My Review: My initial thoughts on this wine was that there was no smell. There was the usual smell you get for any red wine but other than that there were no distinct noticeable smells in my opinion. I think this may be impacted by my nose being stuffy since I think I may be getting sick. Upon tasting it my first initial thought was that this was a super thick wine. To the point where I almost felt like it wasn't a wine but a milk. I mainly only tasted a tannic dark berry from this but not so dark that it was unbearable. I think I would call this a good middle ground of flavor and tannins compared to really strong red wines I've had in the past. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wine Dinner #3

 As a last hoorah before we finished this class, my friends and I decided to visit the wine lab for a nice wine and meal pairing. We especia...