Sunday, February 12, 2023

Tasting - Six Grapes Reserve Porto



Name: Six Grapes Reserve Porto
Variety:  Blend of vintage-quality wines from four indigenous Douro grape varieties – aromatic Touriga Franca; rich, tannic & well-structured Touriga Nacional; raspberry tinged Tinta Roriz; and chocolate noted Tinta Barroca.- Advisor wine industry. I was unable to find specific percentages
Region: Oporto
Country: Portugal
Year: I was unable to find a vintage year but According to online sources it is aged in a barrel for two years.
Price: $26

Winery Review: A lip-smacking, tasty, well-priced dessert wine from the iconic Port region of Portugal. Loaded with aromas of fleshy ripe purple plums and blackberry jam. Great way to finish dinner. Pair with Black Forest cake. - Natalie Maclean wine reviews

Wine Folly: pg 267- Although I was unable to try it with the blue cheese which Wine Folly calls a perfect pairing for a vintage port, I did think that it was a very flavorful wine. I also thought it was very high tannins so this makes sense for what they say on this page. This was my favorite wine I've drank since starting this class so I might try this again with the cheese later.

My Review: Amazing! I really enjoyed the smell of this wine actually compared to other red wines. Normally when I smelled red wines in the past, specifically shiraz and cabernet sauvignon the smell just made me think it would be a bitter taste. However, with this it was almost a refreshing smell comparatively with a subtle fruity smell. The taste was also very different than I expected. Since I knew port wines were high on alcohol I expected it to be very burning feeling in my throat typesque but it was instead really smooth and went down easy. The only downside is I'm still not the biggest fan of the puckering feeling from high tannic alcohol which I definitely got from this wine.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Wine Dinner #3

 As a last hoorah before we finished this class, my friends and I decided to visit the wine lab for a nice wine and meal pairing. We especia...