Sunday, February 12, 2023

Tasting - Maynard's 10 Years Old Aged Tawny Porto

 



Name: Maynard's 10 Years Old Aged Tawny Porto

Variety: I was unable to find a variety online for this besides the fact that a majority of port wines are composed of the following: Touriga Franca, Touriga Nacional, Tinta Barroca, Tinto Cão, and Tinta Roriz (also known as Tempranillo)

Region: Duriense

Country: Portugese

Year: I was unable to find an exact year but based on the name I'm guessing around 2012

Price: $30

Winery Review: "10 Years" indicates an average age – this Aged Tawny Port is a blend of older wines, which offer complexity and younger wines, which bring fresh fruit flavors and vibrancy. During their long maturing period in oak casks, Aged Tawnies undergo subtle color changes: the deep red hue which characterizes Port's youth gradually gives way to a paler reddish amber color. Graham's is known for its rich, elegant house style. This 10 Year has a full, nutty bouquet, the classic Graham's richness and a soft lingering finish.


Wine Folly: pg 154 and pg 267 - There wasn't really much information on tawny port wines specifically besides that the older it is the better it is the book which makes me want to try an older one at some point in the future since all this wasn't my favorite I did enjoy it. From my own research outside of the book I saw that it was good when paired with dessert so I tried it with ice cream.


My Review: Great! My initial thoughts when I first smelled it was dirt to be honest. My nose was a little stuffy the night I drank this though so I don't that that is a fair review. I also smelled a bit of raisins which I thought was a weird was to describe a wine but it seemed fitting. I also had the initial notice that this was very thick. When swirling it, it would take forever for the legs to go back down which I know as was talked about in the lectures means nothing but I definitely noticed the viscosity as I drank it. From the way my friends described it who drank it first I thought it would be very sweet but upon tasting it I didn't think it was that sweet. Instead I mainly tasted a syrupy raisin with an alcohol aftertaste. I tried pairing it with ice cream but I wasn't a fan of the combo since the ice cream tasted funny with it so I stopped shortly into it. Mainly because it was a fruity ice cream and I think it made the fake strawberry taste of the ice cream even more pronounced which was gross.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wine Dinner #3

 As a last hoorah before we finished this class, my friends and I decided to visit the wine lab for a nice wine and meal pairing. We especia...