Sunday, February 26, 2023

Tasting - Dr Leimbrock Riesling Auslese


Name: Dr Leimbrock Riesling Auslese
Variety: 100% Riesling
Region: Mosel
Country: Germany
Year: 2015
Price: 22
Winery Review: "The 2015 Brauneberger Juffer Riesling Auslese boasts a big, sweet, full-bodied style that nevertheless stays clean and nicely balanced. Showing lots of sugared citrus, quince, mint, and hints of diesel fumes, it shines for this mid-palate depth, has terrific balance between its acidity and sugar, and offers a great finish. This cuvée comes from vines planted in 1990 and was brought up all in large oak barrels."- Jeb Dunnuck (March 27th 2019), 92 pts
Wine Folly: pg 158- I've actually had two Rieslings now and I remember the first one tasted dry while this one was very sweet so this matches with what the book says. 
My Review: I preferred the sweetness of this Riesling over the one I had in the past that was dry. I drank this the next day after it was opened which I think mellowed out the smell. My friends who had it the moment it was opened said that it was a very strong petroleum smell. When I smelled it was a very faint smell of petroleum and my roommates also smelled it and said was a lot more mellowed out than when they drank it. I thought the wine tasted like an apple juice with bubbles. It was a very light bodied wine with a little bit of acidity but not enough that it bothered me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wine Dinner #3

 As a last hoorah before we finished this class, my friends and I decided to visit the wine lab for a nice wine and meal pairing. We especia...