Sunday, February 19, 2023

Tasting - Franzia Pinot Noir Carmenere

 



Name: Franzia Pinot Noir Carmenere

Variety: 51% Pinot Noir 49% carmenere

Region: Cachapoal Valley

Country: Chile

Year: I could not find a vintage year on this bottle however since box wine is not usually for aging I assume its from 2022

Price: $20

Winery Review: A pleasing dry Pinot Noir, Carmenere with a light body and aromas of blackberry and raspberry. Pair it with beef, poultry or winter nights.

Wine Folly: pg 214- according to the textbook chilean pinot noirs normally have a subtle woodsy or oak note which I wasn't able to notice. I do strongly agree with the berry flavor.

My Review: My initial thoughts when I smelled the pinot noir carmenere was an alcoholic raspberry. The taste made me think of a propel water that had a tiny bit of berry flavoring in it. I will note that this wine had been opened a few weeks prior but since its a box wine which normally last a month plus I thought it was still ok. This was a high tannic feeling but it was mainly only on my tongue not my mouth. Normally when I have a high tannic wine it makes my lips pucker up all over but it was only my tongue that felt bitter after the tasting for this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wine Dinner #3

 As a last hoorah before we finished this class, my friends and I decided to visit the wine lab for a nice wine and meal pairing. We especia...