Sunday, March 19, 2023

Wine and Cheese Pairing #2

 My roommates and I wanted to do a wine and cheese tasting since we are all in this class. One of my roommates is from Georgia the country, and he wanted us to try a lot of different Georgian wines and unique cheeses.


We chose to pair tsolikouri qveri, a white wine, and rougette bavarian red cheese, Kisi qveri dry amber wine with merry parmigiano, and lastly ethno spaervai with a paski sir cheese. We chose to drink these starting from white wines to the red ethnosaperavi.



First pairing: Tsolikouri Qveri and Rougette Bavarian Red


This wine had a very citrus like smell that I couldn't place. It tasted like an apple cider and had a lot of minerals in it. It was very dry with a little bit of tannins. When eating it with the cheese it tasted a lot sweeter and it felt that it went smoother down my throat. The cheese on its own was very strong. I didn't really notice any difference in the cheese taste while eating it with the wine. The cheese was very fatty so I think it would've tasted better with a red wine and I remember learning that fatty wines help target tannins.

Second Pairing: Kisi Qveri Dry Amber Nine Oaks and Merry Parmigiano


This wine smelled like a sweet watermelon even though it's supposed to be a dry wine. It tasted like water with a little bit of a honey flavor to it. It was almost like what I would picture of a honey Gatorade would taste like. The parmesan alone was very sharp. When combined I tasted a little bit of a light berry taste and and felt it in the back of my throat. I don't think that these two really meshed together at all. The cheese tasted almost the exact same before and after as well as the wine tasted almost the exact same. My friends who I was with however said that they noticed a difference but I couldn't tell.

Third Pairing: Ethno saperavi and Paski Sir


This wine smelled like fresh dark berries. It was very tannic and felt it very strongly on my tongue. It tasted exactly how it smelled minus the freshness. It was a very bitter dark fruit in my opinion. It was also very thick and it felt like I could feel it move through my throat. This was my favorite wine and cheese pairing. The wine felt immediately lighter and the taste of fruit was much stronger when pairing it with the cheese. The cheese on its own was a very bold strong sharp taste with a hint of nuttiness and stayed this way even when eating it with the wine. The wine in a comparison almost tasted like black current propel water while drinking it with the cheese.


All in all, this was a very interesting experience. I didn't recognize any of the cheeses or wines ahead of time so everything was very new to me. This made it even more fun than the first wine and cheese tasting I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wine Dinner #3

 As a last hoorah before we finished this class, my friends and I decided to visit the wine lab for a nice wine and meal pairing. We especia...